The fourth of July is almost here, America, and that means dusting off your spatulas, buying some good cuts of meat, and pulling the covers off of your barbecue for another celebration of freedom and fiery fun!
Here’s what you need to do before inviting your friends and family to your backyard cookout!
Scrub Down the Grills and Grill Box
Over time, grills and grill boxes accumulate a lot of gunk and burnt-on grease, and if they aren’t cleaned regularly, it can create a hazard to your food and your safety by igniting. You can prevent this risk by taking your grills out and soaking them in a bucket of hot water and soap before cleaning the insides with a sponge or brush.
In addition, you should also keep the inside of your pellet grill dry. Moisture can damage electronics, while wet pellets become very much like cement, which can completely jam your pellet grill.
After Every Grilling Session
- After you’ve finished grilling, run the grill on high for 10 minutes and wipe it down with a brass bristle brush.
- The grease bucket should be removed and stored where pests cannot access it.
- Use a damp rag to clean up drips that have leaked onto the sides of the smoker.
- It is a good idea to replace the foil on the drip pan approximately 24 hours after grilling. In this way, any potential grease fires will be prevented.
Get The Grill Going and Cook Up a Diabetes-Friendly Feast
Now that your grill is clean and ready to go, break out the apron and cook some delicious food for your family.
Check out these cool recipes and get your ingredients together—we promise you won’t regret it!
- Grilled Basil Chicken and Tomatoes
- Greek Pork Chops
- Grilled Tilapia Piccata
- Ricotta-Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms
If you know of any great diabetic-friendly recipes, we would love to hear from you! Leave your thoughts on our Facebook page or Instagram.
Are you having difficulty accessing the diabetes supplies you need? Helping Diabetics USA is here to help! Our mission is to help uninsured and underinsured diabetics get the diabetic supplies they need at a fraction of the cost. Send us a message to learn more!